WHAT IS THE ANIMATE FUND?
Animate 2017 is a €220,000 fund that provides grants and supports to early stage projects or organisations that have come up with clever ideas to address health and social issues in their community. This year the Animate Fund will have two elements, the first will seek out early stage innovations that have smart responses to general community issues such as poverty, educational disadvantage etc. The second element will have a specific focus on community health with the new Healthy Community Awards which is proudly supported by Medtronic.
Social Innovation Fund Ireland and Medtronic believe that local decision making and philanthropy can benefit local communities but can also contribute significantly to global change. Through the Healthy Community Award, we want to support local communities to undertake projects that don’t just solve the health issues on their own doorstep, but that feed into a bigger solution to global health issues and inequalities as set out in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Healthy Community Awards are strongly aligned to SDG 3 and applicants working in this area are strongly encouraged to apply.
Animate is a commitment between Social Innovation Fund Ireland, Medtronic and the Irish Government with €220,000 in funding available to be shared between 11 successful applicants this year.
WHAT DOES THE FUND OFFER?
The Animate Fund offers:
- A share of €220,000 fund, including both cash grant and non-financial supports, shared between 11 projects. (€10,000 cash and €10,000 non-financial supports such as mentoring, growth planning)
- 3 to 4 month programme including bespoke mentoring and growth planning.
WHAT KIND OF PROJECT IS THE FUND LOOKING FOR?
Applicants should be able to demonstrate how their project impacts upon the lives of their participants & their local communities.
Applicants for the Healthy Community Awards should be focused on improving Health outcomes (including, Physical Health, Mental Health, Addiction etc)
Applications are likely to come from charities, voluntary organisations, community groups, social enterprises and other not for profits.
ELIGIBLE PROJECTS WILL BE ABLE TO DEMONSTRATE
Applicants must meet Social Innovation Fund Ireland standard criteria and specific criteria for the Animate Fund listed below.
SOCIAL INNOVATION FUND IRELAND STANDARD CRITERIA
- The project must address a critical social issue – in the case of the Healthy Communities Award – health issues
- The solution proposed must be innovative in an Irish context.
- The solution must have potential and a desire to scale or replicate in Ireland (it may also have potential internationally, but this is not a requirement).
- The solution must provide evidence that it is up and running, or have been tested at least in a minimal way.
- That it is based on the island of Ireland and will make its main impact in the Republic of Ireland.
- Applicants must come from an entity that has a not for profit legal form e.g. charity, social enterprise, voluntary organisations etc..
ADVANTAGEOUS CRITERIA FOR THE CORE ANIMATE AWARD:
- The project has the potential to create jobs
ADVANTAGEOUS CRITERIA FOR THE ANIMATE – HEALTHY COMMUNITIES AWARDS:
- Projects that focus on community health initiatives
- Projects that focus on underserved communities
- Projects that can illustrate how their project addresses SDG3 health objectives
WHO CAN APPLY?
The Animate Fund supports early stage innovation, projects or organisations to help them advance to the next stage of their development. It is intended that by the end of each Awardee’s involvement with the programme, they will be ready for the next stage of social finance or philanthropic investment.
The Animate Fund will accept applications from;
- Not for Profits
- Voluntary Organisations
- Social Enterprises
- Previous recipients of Medtronic or Covidian funding are not eligible to apply for this Fund.
HOW LONG IS THE PROGRAMME OPEN FOR APPLICATIONS?
The Animate Fund is open for applications from May 16th 2017 until 7th July 2017.
How do I apply?
The Animate application form is available on its dedicated page here
What is expected of applicants?
Applicants are expected to be available for interview in Dublin/Galway between the 4th September -16th September 2017.
What is expected of Awardees?
Awardees will be expected to:
- Participate in a 3 to 4 month programme, with a minimum of 2 days per week devoted to working on your awarded project.
Where can i find out more information about Animate?
The Social Innovation Fund Ireland team will be visiting Galway City on Tuesday May 30th for an information session about the Animate Fund and to answer any questions you may have. The event will be held at Croí, West of Ireland Cardiac Foundation, Moyola Lane, Newcastle with a start time of 6.30pm approx. Register to Attend here
We’ll also hold a webinar on Wednesday June 21st for any last minute pointers or questions you have relating to the application form. Time and dates to follow.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What exactly does the Animate Fund offer?
- A share of €220,000 (€200,000 for Healthy Community Awards). This includes non-financial supports such as bespoke mentorship and growth planning.
- A 3 to 4 month programme to position awardees for growth.
How many Awards will be made?
There will be 11 Awards. 10 of these are Healthy Community Awards while there will be one recipient of the Animate Core Fund.
What can the Awardees spend the cash grants on?
The cash grant must be spent on the project which won the award. The specific use of the cash grants will be agreed between Social Innovation Fund Ireland and the awardee.
Cash grants may not be used to pay off debts or purchase vehicles, land or buildings.
Who will decide who wins the Awards?
Final decisions are made by the Board of Social Innovation Fund Ireland.
What is the selection process?
- Stage 1: Open Call for Applications 16th May 2016 – 7th July 2017
- Stage 2: Selection Process – internal & external review July – September 2017
- Stage 3: Interviews 4th September – 16th September 2017
- Stage 4: Final due diligence on recommended candidates – late September
- Stage 5: Decision by Social Innovation Fund Ireland’s Board – October/November
- Stage 6: Announce Winners – October/November 2017
How do applicants find out where they are in the selection process?
All applicants will be informed by telephone or email.
What projects are not eligible?
- Projects seeking funds for scholarships
- Projects seeking funding for capital items – buildings, vans, etc.
- Research projects
- Party political projects
- Projects that screen beneficiaries in or out by faith or religious denomination
- Projects where the main impact is outside Republic of Ireland
- Projects that are an idea (only) and that have not yet started
- Previous recipients of Medtronic or Covidian funding.
What applicants are not eligible?
- Applicants must be over 18 years old
- Applications must come from an entity that has a not for profit legal form e.g. school, charity, or social enterprise
- Previous awardees of Medtronic or Covidian
- Previous Animate Awardees
- Social Innovation Fund Ireland and Medtronic staff, Directors and their family members* are excluded from applying
*Immediate family members include sibling, parent, spouse or civil partner or child.
Please contact: email@example.com with any questions.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF THE FUND
By applying for the Animate Fund, all applicants have agreed to the Terms & Conditions.
– All applicants warrant that they are over 18 years of age.
– All applicants warrant that they have engaged fully and truthfully with the application process and will engage fully and truthfully with the selection process. This includes providing full and accurate information, both written and verbal, at all stages of the process.
– All applicants warrant that they are eligible to apply.
– All applicants warrant that they have the right to apply. This means that they hold the necessary rights to carry out the project.