WHAT IS THE ANIMATE FUND?
Animate 2017 is a €220,000 fund that provides grants and supports to early stage projects or organisations that have come up with clever ideas to address health and social issues in their community. This year the Animate Fund will have two elements, the first will seek out early stage innovations that have smart responses to general community issues such as poverty, educational disadvantage etc. The second element will have a specific focus on community health with the new Healthy Community Awards which is proudly supported by Medtronic.
Social Innovation Fund Ireland and Medtronic believe that local decision making and philanthropy can benefit local communities but can also contribute significantly to global change. Through the Healthy Community Award, we want to support local communities to undertake projects that don’t just solve the health issues on their own doorstep, but that feed into a bigger solution to global health issues and inequalities as set out in the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). The Healthy Community Awards are strongly aligned to SDG 3 and applicants working in this area are strongly encouraged to apply.
Animate is a commitment between Social Innovation Fund Ireland, Medtronic and the Irish Government with €220,000 in funding available to be shared between 11 successful applicants this year.
The Animate Fund opened for applications on 16th May 2017 and closed for applications on 7th July 2017. The winners of Animate will be announced in November 2017.
Deirdre Mortell, SIFI and Alma Curran, Medtronic, pictured with 2016 winner of Animate, Sean Peters, Save a Selfie
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What exactly does the Animate Fund offer?
- A share of €220,000 (€200,000 for Healthy Community Awards). This includes non-financial supports such as bespoke mentorship and growth planning.
- A 3 to 4 month programme to position awardees for growth.
How many Awards will be made?
There will be 11 Awards. 10 of these are Healthy Community Awards while there will be one recipient of the Animate Core Fund.
What can the Awardees spend the cash grants on?
The cash grant must be spent on the project which won the award. The specific use of the cash grants will be agreed between Social Innovation Fund Ireland and the awardee.
Cash grants may not be used to pay off debts or purchase vehicles, land or buildings.
Who will decide who wins the Awards?
Final decisions are made by the Board of Social Innovation Fund Ireland.
What is the selection process?
- Stage 1: Open Call for Applications 16th May 2016 – 7th July 2017
- Stage 2: Selection Process – internal & external review July – September 2017
- Stage 3: Interviews 4th September – 16th September 2017
- Stage 4: Final due diligence on recommended candidates – late September
- Stage 5: Decision by Social Innovation Fund Ireland’s Board – October/November
- Stage 6: Announce Winners – October/November 2017
How do applicants find out where they are in the selection process?
All applicants will be informed by telephone or email.
What projects are not eligible?
- Projects seeking funds for scholarships
- Projects seeking funding for capital items – buildings, vans, etc.
- Research projects
- Party political projects
- Projects that screen beneficiaries in or out by faith or religious denomination
- Projects where the main impact is outside Republic of Ireland
- Projects that are an idea (only) and that have not yet started
What applicants are not eligible?
- Applicants must be over 18 years old
- Applications must come from an entity that has a not for profit legal form e.g. school, charity, or social enterprise
- Previous Animate Awardees
- Social Innovation Fund Ireland and Medtronic staff, Directors and their family members* are excluded from applying
*Immediate family members include sibling, parent, spouse or civil partner or child.
Please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
TERMS & CONDITIONS OF THE FUND
By applying for the Animate Fund, all applicants have agreed to the Terms & Conditions.
– All applicants warrant that they are over 18 years of age.
– All applicants warrant that they have engaged fully and truthfully with the application process and will engage fully and truthfully with the selection process. This includes providing full and accurate information, both written and verbal, at all stages of the process.
– All applicants warrant that they are eligible to apply.
– All applicants warrant that they have the right to apply. This means that they hold the necessary rights to carry out the project.
For more information email email@example.com